Jul 5, 2015

Mattel dropped the ball with Super7





 Super7 got the license to do some MOTU stuff... Seeing as they are a San Francisco company that does toys and apparel, we're up for some Politically Correct MOTU stuff, right? Seeing that SF is Social Ju$tice Central we'd get tons of Teela, Evil Lyn, Sorceress and She-Ra stuff... well No...
We're getting bunch of He-Men and Skeletors among some stuff... The problem with this is that Items range from "Meh" to "Why in the Sorceress' name is Mattel allowing these dickweeds sully the brand!?" kind of thing.

Here's a few examples:
This simple Black shirt with white lettering is an example of MEH...

Notice something? Let me put on my St. Sarkenjoshian garb of ear hula hoops and plaid.

The lack of representation of women. This sausagefest of evil shirt is lacking Evil Lyn!!

The next Item, I have to say that it's kinda cool. It's a hipsterish pseudo 8 bit version of Skeletor...
It's nothing special, but at least I can say That the Super7 people are trying. There are more shirts, but these two were the ones that caught my attention.

The MOTU Glassware I have to admit that it's cool. They remind me of the 80s MOTU Glassware. I wonder if these are full size or shot glasses. Once again, notice the lack of Evil Lyn... Though I'm surprised that Tri-Klops made it this time.

I mentioned Toys, let's look at those:
The first Item is a M.U.S.C.L.E. inspired line, which is I guess OK, since Mattel did the 80s MUSCLE line... I have to admit that this one is a bit interesting, but It's a meh, bordering on If these were in retail I'd get them.
That's the end of the kinda good items... Here comes the crap!

The Kenner Star Wars styled MOTU FALSE PROTOTYPES.
Super7 has worked with Funko on the ReAction line, which makes characters from movies in that Kenner style...
Well these are single colored unpainted MOTU figures in THAT Style...
Here's what bugs me... Fake Prototypes!? What the Hell Man!? If you're going to do Kenner Star Wars type MOTU, just do them and call it a day. Don't try to call them prototypes because they are simply: Unpainted MOTU Characters done in the style of late 70s 3 3/4" toys. Not going to mention that I don't like them, even in full color, because I'm not a fan of this style.

Now the BIGGEST OFFENDER, literally, is the GIANT He-Man and Skeletor FALSE TEST SHOTS!! Yes, boys and girls, these are the SAME MOTU Giants that are pegwarming on Matty Collector, BUT in funky colors and unpainted with an even BIGGER PRICETAG!? Why not make Faker as an exclusive for them, or Hell do Wun-Dar! They'd need ZERO new tooling and be more interesting for collectors than False Test Shots specifically manufactured to be sold.

But the worst is yet to come... There is a set of items FAR MORE OFFENSIVE than these toys.

These $100 each He-Man and Skeletor Whatever they are...

There's some other stuff that I forgot to save pics of... I think they were some pencil toppers that look like they were drawn by a 5 year old.

With all that MOTU stuff that Super7 is shoving
into, it's a bit scary that the collector's market is being filled with "quirky" items and actual CRAP like these whatever the Hell they are. I hope that the Rebranding for the ACTUAL MOTU collector's line (currently known as Masters of the Universe Classics) is a lot better than these things...

It's not like they made a Mossman Chia Pet...




You sons of bitches... I think I may need to buy one of those...


No comments:

Post a Comment