Apr 18, 2015

the Hypocrisy of the end of Sábado Gigante surprises me.

September 2015 will be the end of Sábado Gigante... The perennial Saturday Evening Variety Show for Latin American Audiences is ending in 2015, after a 53 year run. A REALLY REALLY REALLY small part of me is bummed about it ending. 98% of me is like, eh! I barely watched the show so, it's end doesn't affect me. I mean, I DO Remember seeing it back in the 80s...

Do remember some Marvel Secret War Figures on a pillow and bedsheet mountain while the show was on the background... Perhaps a Few MOTU figures every now and then. My late grandma would make some fried cornmeal balls to watch Don Francisco, or hot cocoa...

I think the most recent time I saw the show was in the late 90s...

I don't remember the reason WHY I was even watching, but I DO remember a bunch of senior citizens...

And those two words are KEY here. SENIOR CITIZENS were the core Audience for the show. It astounds me how Facebook and Twitter are full of YOUNG PEOPLE MOURNING the end of Sábado Gigante. If you're under 50 and are mourning the show, then you're very likely to be a hypocrite... There's a FEW exceptions. I'm talking about people who I KNOW don't see the show who are now yelling "WHY!?" to the heavens regarding the cancellation of the show. Those are hypocrites...

In any case, I feel bad for the Old Latin American Folks who will have nothing to watch on Saturday evenings.

No comments:

Post a Comment