Oct 15, 2014

It came from the Toy Chest: You know nothing

Jon Snow! Yes, that's right! Bitch faced, bastard son of Ned Stark and member of the Night's Watch is the newest character to come out of the Toy Chest. In order to celebrate a week in honor of A Song of Ice and Fire the House of Rants will review some Game of Thrones figures. This is the unofficial "Get off your ass and type, George R.R. Martin" week, because let's face it: EVERY WEEK is basically a Get off your ass and Type, George R.R. Martin week until he finishes the last two books.

So, Funko has tackled the Game of Thrones franchise and is bringing us 1:12 scaled Action Figures.

We need a bit of background music here.

Right out of the bat, I must point out that the packaging is a bit more collector-friendly than Mattel's MOTUC. You can theoretically reseal the package after opening, but that requires some tape removal skills that I lack. Then again, I'm an opener.

Do I need to go in detail about Jon Snow? He knows nothing. he's a bastard son of Ned Stark...
He has a big ass wolf that is not included with the figure. He's a member of the Night's Watch... Which is kinda like the US Border Patrol, but instead defending us from Canadians, the neighbors up North of Westeros are more like Savages and Zombies.

Let me get him out of the package and...


We can add being a functional toy to the list of things that Jon Snow doesn't know.

One call to Funko's CS yielded nothing. I'm basically SOL with a bitch ass broken Jon Snow.
I joked about Ned Stark having a loose head. No, I don't have a Ned Stark, but spoilers... Instead I end up with a Jon Snow with one arm!

This is not a good start with this line!






So, let's rate Jon Snow:

Articulation:
If Mr. "I know Nothing" hadn't broken, then he'd get a 4.0 in articulation. The PoAs while a bit awkward at first (used to the MOTUC buck) they do have a great range of motion. Even if the biceps lack the bicep swivel, the GoT figures have a great range of motion. Or at least what I could test with the non-breaking hand, after the incident.

Paint and sculpt:
The sculpt is pretty good! I mean; it captures Jon Snow's bitch face from earlier seasons pretty accurately.The sculpt does a decent job in hiding the articulation, which is good. Paintwise, it seems to be a bit sloppy, but nothing horribly sloppy that makes you say "WTF is going on here?" So, here Jon Snow would have scored a 4.0

Accessories:
Jon Snow only has Longclaw. These figures don't seem to come with much, but for $16, I can't expect a 100% newly tooled figure to come with a buttload of accessories. Here, Mr. Snow gets a 2.0

Overall:
Had Jon Snow not broken, he'd get a 3.33 overall score. Him breaking seems like it's honoring George R.R. Martin's tradition of killing main characters. This is a bad experience that I hope won't repeat itself with the rest of the figures I got.


No comments:

Post a Comment