Apr 7, 2014

Gone Home is severely overrated,

I just don't get how people can praise Gone Home as a great game... Much less pay the $20 that it costs on Steam. I'd like to thank a friend of mine, who shall remain nameless, since she wants nothing to do with this rant. The only thing she did was let me play Gone Home on her laptop... Since she has the game. She was raving about how awesome Gone Home is... Kinda like I was with The Last of Us.

So, I asked her to please avoid spoilers and I sat on a beanbag chair. I put on my Cup Holder hat and 2 Bottles of Mountain Dew and began to play Gone Home...

I gave up 27 minutes into the game... If I could call it a game... Let's call it Overhyped Sidequest/Pre-Alpha partial gameplay Demo. Walk around and read notes on stuff that happened to people in the game's world. Many Survival Horror games use this to flesh out the story. (I've seen it in the Resident Evil Games, and most recently in The Last of Us. I'm sure this happens in other games but none come to mind at the moment... PARASITE EVE!! PE was another one)

Now the Overrated part is very likely to come from the "My little Sister is gay and ran away from home" angle. This is what has the critics praising the hell out of this game. Personally I felt the whole "Sam is gay and ran away with her girlfriend" forced as if saying: "Look at us! We're EDGY! We're progressive!" And if you think that this is a BAD GAME you're going to get labeled as Homophobic or Misogynistic gamer.

Here's the thing: I KINDA see the potential in the story (Well the Other stuff that wasn't the Sam Story. I was more invested in the failing marriage of the main character's parents), Sam's Story was a bit cheesy and cliched but the whole she's gay, felt shoehorned in. you could switch the genders in one of the characters (Sam or Lonnie) and the story would be pretty much the same Forbidden Teenage Love Story that plays out the same way as we have seen in previous FTLS. Also, the reviews would have been more honest.

Did I like it? No. In fact, not liking this game nearly ruined a friendship. My good friend bought into the hype and called it a masterpiece. I found it Dull, Boring, and Pretentious.

I'm definitely glad that I did NOT BUY this Overhyped Sidequest/Pre-Alpha partial gameplay Demo. I cannot recommend this product.

No comments:

Post a Comment