Nov 24, 2013

Post Day of the Pony and the Doctor Thoughts.

Yesterday was the Day of the Doctor and the Premiere of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic's 4th Season.

I'll start with My Little Pony (for Chronological reasons)
It was OK... Not that great. I'm going to blame the horrible thing on my left... Not Twilight Sparkle, cause I love Twilight... or loved her back when she wasn't a Princess.

I'll be honest: Alicorns ruin everything! Half of the Episodes were about Twilight's inability to adapt as an Alicorn Princess. The basic premise of the episodes were that Princesses Celestia and Luna were MIA for the Summer Sun Celebration (The same Celebration from Episodes 1 and 2)
So, the whole episode was Twilight: Princess or Main Character. The struggle bled on to the rest of the Mane 6 which was expected, but this whole "Twilicorn Princess" thing is bugging me out. Seriously, it felt like they cut out important stuff just to have more Twilicorn crap.

The Good: Flashbacks, Flashbacks, Flashbacks!!
We got to see the Celestia/Luna Battle of 1000 years ago!

This Cord was here! The Chaotic one was in top form in this episode (two-parter) and it's freaking Discord! (Any excuse to have more John DeLancie on MLP IS a good thing!)

Loose ends that may be revealed across the entire season...

The Bad: Twilicorn.
Episode felt like Filler

No "Dear Princess Celestia" moral of the day...

The meh: 
No songs.

Overall, it wasn't Bad... Better than the Crystal Empire, but it did not blew me away.



Now for the Big One...

(What? I like the Original version of the theme better)
THE DAY OF THE DOCTOR!!
Well, it's a Doctor Who Special with 2 Doctors... 11 and 12. We would have gotten 3 Doctors if it wasn't for Mr. Eccleston's strong refusal to reprise his role as The Doctor. Instead we have this "War Doctor" played by John Hurt... Like a doctor 8.5, cause they never thought of getting Paul McGann to do anything with Doctor Who after that 90s movie.

So, basically the story deals with the Fall of Gallifrey in the Time War against the Daleks. The War Doctor is ready to use the Moment... Which is what kills the Time Lords and Daleks. The Moment has a consciousness that takes the form of Rose... (blegh! I never liked the Rose obsession)
The "Rose" takes The War Doctor on a Timey Wimey adventure with 10 and 11. Then they do their Doctor thing and we have a little fan-service while we prepare our bodies for Capaldi.



The Good:
War Doctor was pretty awesome and I wish we could have gotten more of him.

It was good to see Ten again and I loved the interactions between Ten and Eleven

UNIT... One of the few things I remember from the few encounters I had with CLASSIC Doctor Who (specifically the Third Doctor)

The Cameos and archive footage used for the  finale.

The Bad:
Rose Tyler... I guess that fans of her would have this on good.

The Meh:
For a few minutes the special felt a little like a Highlander Episode.

Zygons... Well at least the main villains this time were NOT Daleks...

Overall it was really great! This special was a sort of love letter to the fans. Well worth the wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment