Oct 1, 2013

Songster: The Rant

Since we're in October and I won't be able to have MOTUC coming out of the Toy Chest until Later this month if lucky or early November, (don't worry, when the October order comes, I'm going to have a LOT of MOTUC Stuff to talk about... Except the TURD... He'll have to wait till cyber monday or a CS sale...) I'm gonna rant about some characters that NEED some love in MOTUC... So, I'm starting with SONGSTER!!
Who is Songster?
Let's start with the He-Man She-Ra Power Tour

Do you Remember this? Well, I didn't cause it didn't show up in my neck of the woods...


Here we see Songster in action... His Music can apparently create illusions or something... The way I'm interpreting this is that Songster is like some sort of Summoner who can summon Espers with the Power of Glam Rock... No! I did NOT turn him into a Jem/Final Fantasy Crossover... She-Ra and He-Man were the ones talking about Songster and how his Magical Guitar can make the Eternian Legends come alive in front of your very eyes... He is not a simple Spoony Bard... He's the Master Bard with Kick-ass Magical powers... With the right direction this bard could be a kick-ass character... Sadly, I don't trust the Mattel Bio team... We've seen how they turn good things into Turds... Castle Grayskull Bio, "Special friends", Second born son, King Hiss Ate my Bro, Evil Lyn Released me, Daddy Issues, Sword of He, and really sucky real names I'm looking at you.

Why Songster?
Songster had a cameo on the Skeletor Mini-Comic that came with King He-Man... Good, so he IS important enough for Mattel to have noticed him. I know this doesn't explain WHY, but GOATMAN...
Goatman is from the Golden Books... He's a Travelling Con Exclusive for 2014. Well Songster is the only Original character from the Power Tour... (The Wizards are cool, but a bit generic) Since we're getting Goatman, then Songster is not a far-fetched idea. Besides Songster is better than Skeleteen...
Like I mentioned... He's a Kick-ass Magic Bard... You know what this Fantastic Tale that we call MOTU lacks? a Bard... Sure, our Totally NOT GAY Archer moonlights as a bard, we don't have a full-fledged bard in MOTU. Mr. Songster fits the bill.
Again, for an all encompassing line that is MOTUC, missing out on Songster is a crime. The Power Tour is real, it was a part of MOTU AND it has She-Ra AND He-Man Together...
We have characters from: Filmation, MOTU, POP, NA, Mini Comics, MOTU DC Comics, 1987 Movie, MYP's Reboot, Neitlich's Original characters, MOTU Magazine, Golden Books, Alleged Wonder Bread promos, Prototypes, Concept characters... The only mediums missing representation are the NA Cartoon and the Power Tour. Since I already ranted about Mara, Crita, Drissi and Sebrian, it's now Songster's turn... He's rather Easy to make in Classics.


Let me give you a theoretical parts rundown on Songster.
Head: New

Torso: He-Man
Abs: Hordak
Loincloth: Mosquitor (Or Plundor, Sea Hawk, Flipshot, Bow, NA He-Man, Kobra Khan... as long as it works as the crotch for pants)
Thighs: New (In order to have the Really Long Thigh Boots that Songster has. Could be reused on a Filmation Marzo)
Shins: Demo-Man
Feet: Stratos or Icer
Armor: New (with Cape attached like King Randor, He-Ro or Geoff Johns MOTUC figure. the shoulderpads would work like Karatti's or Chief Carnivus'. Songster's choker is attached to his armor like the Ascot on Pond Chicken... Sea Hawk)
The arms are slightly trickier since we do not have the puffy sleeves needed for him.
Shoulders: King Hiss
Biceps: Mosquitor
Forearms: Bow (Because of the Hands needed being Bow's)
Hands: Bow (for guitar playing action)
Accessories: New (Guitar)

So let's see: 2 New Pieces in the head (Head + Hair), 2 New Armor  Pieces(Armor + cape) 2 New Thighs, 1 New Guitar.
7 new pieces... 2 of them lend themselves to be reused with another character.
With all the characters with Heavy new Tooling, this guy is a refreshing breeze. He screams Travelling Con, or a character to show up like the nasty Spirit of Hordak...

I know, as much as I HATE the Kool-Aid Hordak method of Sale, Songster is not necessarily a MUST Have Character... and I know of the Songster hate... I think he MAY be a bit above the Meteorbs... thing is that a clear plastic reuse of a character that we have is standing on top of my PC... Glaring at me menacingly with his clear red body and beady red eyes. tossing Songster on sale with that method WILL increase his desirability... It's evil, I WILL probably complain about it; I need to rant and when Mattel gives me easy access to things to rant about, I'm gonna rant the heck out of it. Also, we scraped the bottom of the barrel with Nepthu. The Horsemen can make him awesome. The Bio writers COULD make him awesome... but I KNOW he IS Awesome...

Think about it: Mekaneck and Songster are surrounded by Horde Troopers. Songster whips out his guitar and begins to sing the Ballad of Vikor and a "Vikor" (Not the real one, but a Magical construct based on the Vikor of Songster's song) shows up and begins destroying troopers as the Bard rocks his heart out.

He'd obviously should have some limitations. The Stronger the Summon, the shorter the duration of the spell, or something.


Cause Songster... is a MUST have... FOR ME!!  

2 comments:

  1. I am all about Songster in this line. Bring him on, Mattel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Obviously, I'm all about Songster as well. Otherwise, this rant wouldn't be here.

      Delete