Jul 11, 2013

If I had the power to choose the Filmation Figures...

Two days ago, I made a list of candidates better suited than Nepthu because of their low amount of new tooling required.

Seriously, I'm becoming like Twilight Sparkle with all these lists!!
So, if I was SOMEBODY AT MATTEL and I HAD to Choose 20 Normal sized (non-variant) Characters from Filmation to put in MOTUC here's who I'd Choose:
Masters of the Universe:

-Shokoti: She's a popular one shot evil wraith! The Lovecraftian nods throughout her Episode make her a memorable character who deserves a spot! (Even the Somebody at Mattel thinks so)

-Masque: We have Shokoti, we should get Masque... It's like Peanut Butter AND Jelly!

-Melaktha: While, yes I do like Melaktha a LOT and I understand he's not the most Toyetic character; he has something going for him... His occupation as Royal Archaeologist allows him to link the past to the present. (As ways to explore Eternia's history and enrich the MOTU uh, universe.) I've discussed a lot on why he should be in the line (not to mention the artifacts he could have as accessories. He also has 6 appearances on the show, so that makes him a worthy candidate... Also, he was on House of Shokoti... It's either him or Stanlan... I'm joking about the Stanlan part.

-Batros: He's a smart fellow... I'm a bit "meh" about him, but he seems popular enough. Secret Ulterior motive to add him? God Damned Batman jokes. (we ARE getting him, so I agree with Somebody at Mattel)

-Chimera (V2): While the MOTUC Marzo is the 200X Marzo, the lack of his own sidekick Chimera is severely noticed on my shelf... (also, having him would help the push for a Filmation Marzo) The reason I chose V2 is because he has two appearances versus the Single appearance of Chimera V1...

-Delora/Hawke: The difference between each other is just a head. Perfect for a 2 in 1 figure... Since some Collectors buy multiples; they can get two of them! *Cha-Ching!*

-Icer: Creepy Ice dude who looks like a Vintage Toy? Heck and yes! (Perfect for Somebody at Mattel cause most of his new parts can see reuse!)

-Strongarm: I don't like this guy to be honest, but I know he is pretty popular among the fan community.

-Enchantress: The one who kept Miro Captive (now in Despondos if we go with Classics Lore). According to Filmation Lore she was Miro's Enemy... Something elaborating on The Great Unrest.

-Fang Man: Like Strongarm, I don't like him much, but he is pretty popular.

Princess of Power:
-Shadow Weaver: I know that she already came in classics. I'm choosing THOSE who I would have chosen IF I HAD the chance to choose all the characters that would show up. Why would I pick her? She complements and expands the Evil Horde.

-Scorpia: Like Shadow Weaver, this deadly Hordeswoman would help expand the Evil Horde.

-Octavia: Apply the same train of thought as Shadow Weaver.

Three figures in through one Faction affiliation. They also break down the fest du sausage that is zee evil horde!

-Sea Hawk: He's an important ally to the Rebellion (even if he barely helps the rebellion and only joined it to get laid) He also breaks down the Great Clambake by aiding Bow in the Masculine Presence department...

-Granita: The Third Rock Person or Comet Warrior. She's had some appearances with Stonedar and Rokkon outside of Filmation. That gives her some street cred.

-Huntara: Boba Fett in a Purple Grace Jones body... who wields dual lightsabers. Yes please!

-The Melog: a Mud Golem that is basically She-Ra's own Faker? what's not to like?

-Madame Razz: While she requires 100% New Tooling and is slightly shorter than most characters, She is not Orko sized, so she can be classified as a normal figure. Her Importance is that she's one of the few who share Adora's secret and it's mentioned in every episode.

-General Sunder:
Former Horde General turned Rebel? He pretty much shares a LOT of tooling with the Horde Troopers.

-Vultak: Flying Horde member and keeper of Hordak's Menagerie... Not my Favorite Hordseman, but he expands the horde, has the ability of flight.


Now, those are the 20 NORMAL Sized characters that I'd use. If I could toss in Smaller characters like the Twiggets, Imp, Red Eye (Simple reuse of the Kowl buck.) Dree Elle, Montork, Starchild or Larger characters like Dylamug (The MOTU MODOK), General Tataran, Shokoti's Sleeping Beast (cause House of Shokoti)  or Molkrom, just to name a few; I totally would. If I HAD to cut a few of the normal figures I'd remove Melog, Delora, Melaktha, Chimera and Enchantress if needed. I have to say that it was a LOT HARDER to choose 10 from the MOTU Side than choosing 10 from the POP side. The reason it was harder for me to choose from MOTU was this: I was trying to look for the following:

-Characters that would open doors to expand the story: Like I said with Melaktha. His usefulness lies in his archaeological skills. His work opens up new adventures.Encounters with mysterious characters. Also linking some story points and locations... If used correctly. With Masque's case, he dies in his first appearance, but his existence is proof of the cult of Shokoti, which again can expand the story... in this case backstory and can be used to further explain the World of Eternia... Going beyond Mattel's vision of simply selling the toys.

-Characters who are popular with the fans. Ileena would be super easy to make, but she's not THAT popular. There's also the fact that she's just a recovering drug addict. There's not much that I can do with her storywise when looking at the big picture. People like Strongarm and Fang Man. I don't, but since they seem to be pretty popular;; they were added to the list.

-Characters who could reuse parts or make parts that can be reused on other figures: It's a little Mattel Logic. Icer and Vultak share forearms, Vultak and Angella share wings. Sunder and Horde Troopers share bodies.Chimera reuses a lot from Demo-Man.

You may have noticed the absence of two Special characters... One has a mild following but is VERY Controversial. The other, well I've ranted way too much on him... almost as much as I did with Spector. You know what I learned after this?

...
....
.....
......
.....
....
...
Wait... No Video with Background Music?
OK then. Having to pick a few characters out of the rather large Filmation Library is a pain in the neck!
Aside from the rumors of Plundor and Nepthu, the character's we've gotten have been OK. HOPEFULLY We won't get any more "Nepthu Class" characters. Also, I pity the one having to make these choices... cause seriously, NEPTHU!?




I really hope these Nepthu Rumors are just Rumors...

No comments:

Post a Comment