Jan 2, 2013

Attack of the Retail MOTUCs

Mattel has made a ballsy move. Instead of selling reissues online on their site, they are selling their "unsold Customer Service Stock" through WalMart...


FFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU- doesn't
even begin to describe my initial reaction.

I was pissed when I saw this pic. I'll be honest. I missed out on Roboto (until I bought one from a reseller...) and Walmart now has a bunch of them. They're selling around $17 per figure and Gygor is like $25... LESS THAN MATTEL SOLD THEM TO US... So much for not having a middleman makes them cheaper than buying them through a retailer...

Mattel said that they were going to unload some CS stock because it was too small to sell through Matty to some retailers... Well, If they actually made the items AVAILABLE UNTIL THEY TRULY SOLD OUT, MAYBE they wouldn't have to "DUMP" figures through Retailers... I mean Roboto? Gygor? I bet that if ONE Shadow Weaver, Wun-Dar, or Crossdressing He-Man people are going to be demanding Neitlich's head on a stick!


SQUIGGLY!
Here's the thing: Yeah! I'm pissed that I couldn't buy a Roboto from Matty while they had pallets of the guy being worked by TOP MEN...

Now the Positive spin... if there is one is that MOTU is BACK ON RETAIL! If these sell out well enough for Mattel to bring MOTUC to Retail, then this is a good thing. Perhaps a way to churn out some of those variants that can't be tossed on the online only line (200X He-Man, Filmation Hordak, etc.)
OK this is only happening on a Walmart in... wait for it...

If the MOTUC were spread through WalMarts nationwide (including Alaska, Hawaii and Puerto Rico) now THAT would be super mega awesometastic!
THIS could be the Booster shot that the line needs right now (along with better QC) Maybe a way for Mattel to reuse the Castle Grayskull mold by making a more bare bones Retail version... (and selling the extra stuff through Mattycollector... wink wink!)


No comments:

Post a Comment