Oct 13, 2012

It Came From the Toy chest: My Little Skelly: Evil is Magic

Why the title? I think it's Rather Obvious... I'm talking about a Skeletor Variant that could be indirectly linked to My Little Pony... I wonder which Skeletor variant that could be...
He's going to Bronycon in 10 seconds flat!
Next year of course...
The only other being I know that carries a Dragon on her back...
"Evil Lyn!! Hurry up and release me!!"
Dragon Blaster Skeletor is finally here... and here's the deal... This along with BA Skeletor were MY Skeletors when I was a young boy... You can bet I was very excited when he was announced...

Sorry, couldn't resist!!
So what does Brony Skeletor bring to the table...
-The Armor
-The Dragon
-Padlock
Everything else is pure reuse... Whiplash Arms and Kobra Khan Boots...
The Chain's cuff comes from Scareglow... Which we all suspected from the beginning.

So, let's move on to the review of Skeletor and his nameless Dragon, but who I shall call  from now on "Pickle-Barrel Kumquat"

Articulation:
Same Old MOTUC Articulation. Sadly some of my joints were stuck due to the painting of the black plastic Arms and legs painted Light Blue.
4.0

Paint and Sculpt:
It's funny... I often complain about Mattel skimping on Paint application... Due to the Black Plastic they're using on the limbs Mattel is going overboard with the paint (as seen on Dalmatian Man... I mean Vykron)
The Legs are a bit of a PITA to photograph, but there IS a gash on his leg...
Sadly it doesn't photograph well...
The Arms on the other hand are easier to photograph.
This is as close as Vintage Accurate as we can get!
Problem to this new technique is that when applied improperly paint will end up being all gloopy and have thicker areas prone to chipping. Now My skeletor doesn't have that, but the Black Plastic showed up when I removed his armor for the "Make a Vintage Skeletor" by using DBS and a Normal Skeletor Torso Armor... His right Shoulder has a black gash and his thighs have a few weird black "birthmarks". If it had been Molded in the appropriate colors, this figure would have gotten a 5.0! That's how awesome it looks on Sculpt and paint... Sadly the shoulder Gash and the Birthmarks require me to dock a point here... Not to mention the closed Mouth on Pickle-Barrel Kumquat... Something looks OFF with him... Still, I'd take a repaint of it in Purple with Green Fins... In a Faker Variant combining DB and TP from Skeletor and He-Man: Dragon Punch Faker... Honest... It's not ponies... Really! DP Faker
He gets here a 4.0

Accessories:
Power Sword... In a slightly Different color Scheme I must add...
Seriously, I wish that we get a Havoc Staff repaint on a
Weapons pack. Silver Ram, or White Ram with brown horns.
Dragon: I've Mentioned Pickle-Barrel Kumquat and now I must go in depth. Pickle-Barrel Kumquat can be released from Skeletor's back unlike the Vintage Version. He (or She, cause I'm not a dragon Veterinarian and I have no idea what this Dragon's gender is...) Then again the way you attach the dragon to Skeletor's back is by inserting the Male Connector protruding from Skeletor's back into the Female end close to Pickle-Barrel Kumquat's crotch... I'm resisting a huge urge to make a How to Train your Dragon joke here...
So, back on topic. Pickle-Barrel Kumquat CAN be freed from Skeletor's back, right? the Chain is non-removable...
I have to say a 3.5 I mean, Pickle-Barrel Kumquat is a nice addition with a beautiful sculpt (except whatever it is that is bugging me about the face) but being Non-Removable reduces it's uses...

Overall:
3.83 for DB Skeletor. I think that the potential for this figure to be awesome WAS THERE, but somehow Mattel dropped the ball on him... and dropped it again for good measure. The black Plastic, the uselessness of a removable Pickle-Barrel Kumquat while being permanently stuck on Skeletor's chain.



Pickle-Barrel Kumquat needed to be unleashed... but not like He-Ro!
Thanks Jean-Luc for expressing my feelings. Looks like the budding Customizer will have to strike again!
I made a few Mistakes when Releasing My Dragon. I opened the larger links instead of the smaller ones and scratched my padlock a little bit. Based on my Mistakes and some corrections done when explaining here's how to Release your Dragon! (Under $5)
Instructions:
-Remove Armor from skeletor

-Grab Needle nose Pliers and Open the LAST SMALL LINK ON THE CHAIN at each side.


-Separate chain from the large links in order to release the chain.


-separate open links from th
e rest of the chain.

-Insert Lobster claw to small link.


-Connect the "Lobster Clawed Link" to the Large Link (One for the Padlock end and one for the Handcuff end)


-Use the Lobster Claws to link the ends to the main chain.


-Remember to pass it back through the holes on Skeletor's Armor, if you removed it!



You can also buy chain and have a longer chain for your dragon.

Now DB Skeletor is 20% cooler... Cause removable Chain!



Or if you don't want a removable dragon or chain Superglue the sucker to the armor...

No comments:

Post a Comment