May 10, 2011

It came from the Toy Chest: Flocking Scent!

Mossman is the second review brought to you in part by The Great Rebellion!
Is he Flocking Great or is he a flocking dud? We'll find out soon enough!
Before I start the rating part of the review I must say something. DAMN! Mossman's odor is really strong! It really blasted my room with "pine" scent! (Smells more like Vapo-Rub or Melaleuca oil than pine...) The overpowering scent was so strong that it could repel Stinkor or an evil sock bent on world domination!
Seriously I took Mossman away from my room and his scent lingered about an hour.

Enough about his scent and let's get moving with this Flocking Review... Let's Tackle the Flocking problem... I mentioned in my King Grayskull Review that I had to deflock the cape... (1 I hate flocking. 2 White flock gets dirty easy.) I also mentioned on my Panthor Review that I prefer non-flocked items. My stance has not changed with Mossman.
The 4Horsemen made a Mossman prototype shown at SDCC in 2009 and he had a short flocking material that covered his body while still keeping some of the sculpt details from the Beastman body that has been used as Mossman's body since forever...
Mossy and Beastman in the 80s shared a body.
The Anime Hyper detailed era of non-parts sharing did not save Mossman from being a green and flocked Beastman.
In MOTUC he still shares the same fate.Green Beastman + Flock = Mossman. The Problem with Mossman showed up when Mattel changed the flocking to a thicker and longer material that needed to be added in clumps while leaving bald spots due to the articulation. Some people (myself included) feared that "Mossman styled" flocking would be added to Battle Cat in order to make Panthor... Bald Spots on a cat = MANGE! Another reason for me to dislike the flocking in MOTUC... (There's also the dust magnet capabilities of flock, and the use of water soluble glue on Mossman...) Holy crap! Mossman is like a Mogwai... Remind me to not feed him past Midnight!
Check out some customs with flocking that did what Mattel couldn't...
Now that I got my issues regarding the Flock and his scent out of the way:
1 = crap and 5 = awesome... Why do I repeat myself here?
Let's Start with the
Articulation: Same old MOTUC Articulation. Since Mossy is sharing his body with Beastman and Stratos he loses the rotating shin joints (due to his furry nature)... His left knee is REALLY wobbly... 4.0
Paint and Sculpt:
Sculpt: can't talk much about it since it's hidden beneath a thick layer of flock! OK I looked at Beastman and the sculpt rocks! His accessories have some awesome woodsy details, like the flint knife, the bag of stuff with the vine sling and the wood mace. Mossman's default head is Beastman's head. He has an alternate head which is a "calm" head... NOT 200X Inspired without the Anime Hyper Detail... It's a Calm Head... That looks nothing like his "Angry" Head...
Paint is really weird. On the bald spots it kinda tries to match the color of the flock, but it does not quite match it.
4.0
Accessories:
I kinda covered them in the sculpt section and they Rock! While I love the calm head, some of the nostalgia is creeping on me and I've been using the "Krazy Klingon Veteran" head... I mean Green Beastman head...
5.0
Overall: 4.33
He did quite nice, even while having the Flocking disadvantage.
Kinda wish that his Vine sling/Knife satchel were reissued in a Weapons pak.

No comments:

Post a Comment